Upon returning from our camping expedition to Kentucky, I got a job at both Target and Old Navy as a lucrative sales associate. Ok, that sounds too fancy. Basically, I'm a shirt folder. They're not the dream jobs, but I do find that they provide a constructive outlet for my perfectionist side's need to organize and straighten, so I do find some enjoyment in that. Unfortunately, when I get home, I have no desire to hang or fold another shirt, so our house cleanliness has suffered a bit.
And as life would have it, just when I have become comfortable and happy at my two new jobs, I get yet another call from the Cincinnati Children's Hospital for yet another interview in another department. I will admit, I went into the interview with little hope that it would actually work out since the summer is quickly passing by and I am really only available until the end of August. But I got a call a few days later that they decided it would still be worth it to hire me! I am thrilled to have the chance to get my foot in the door there and get to keep my research skills fresh for a couple more months, but now I am in the unfortunate process of trying to quit my other jobs. So far, I've had little success and am just on reduced hours at both places. I'm sure after a week or two of trying to coordinate 3 jobs, they will realize I am not worth the effort of trying to schedule and politely ask me to quit. At least that's what I'm hoping!
In other big news, we finally broke down and bought a full sized couch at Ashley Furniture's mega Memorial Day sale. We both agree that it was a worthwhile purchase. We'd forgotten how nice it is to not have to sit on each other when watching a movie, like we almost have to with only the love seat. It was quite the feat to get the monster couch in the front door (FYI - when Ashley Furniture offers to deliver the couch for $99, accept their offer). Being on a somewhat tight 2-student budget right now, we decided we would just pick up and move the couch ourselves. Of course it was sweaty hot out that day and the front door was not quite big enough. I'm sure the neighbors enjoyed the afternoon show watching us grunt and groan and fall down trying to get the beast into the house. I'm still not entirely sure how it happened, but it finally slipped in through the front door and now makes its massive presence known in our living room.
The rest of the last month has been spent trying to beat the heat and humidity that has settled into the Cincinnati area. We are suppose to have central air in our house, but it has yet to work. Supposedly, a handy man will be coming over soon to take a look, but we haven't seen him yet. In the meantime, we have fans strategically placed throughout the house and just try not to move too much when we're home. On the plus side, it makes us happy to go to work each morning because we get to be in the cold air there. Poor Baxter has to suffer alone at home.
The final bit of news is that on June 12, we ran our first 5K race as a married couple (or as any kind of couple, for that matter). We haven't decided yet if it will be our first and last, but we did survive and are feeling good about ourselves for having run the whole thing and beating our goal time. As has been the trend around here lately, it downpoured the entire race, which added an extra challenge. Although without the rain, it probably would have been sickly hot, so we are not entirely ungrateful. It's just a strange feeling to run 3 miles with shoes that are sloshing and pants that feel like they might fall off because they have absorbed so much water. Fun fun!
We are hoping for a quiet rest of the summer. Scott is planning a trip back to MN in July that I mostly likely cannot join him on due to the new job starting (bummer). We just signed a lease for another year in this house. As quirky and troublesome as this house has been, we love the location and are ecstatic that we don't have to try to fit a move into this summer. This will be the first time since 2002 that I will live in the same place for more than a year, so I am really looking forward to finally getting some housing stability. I guess I should finish unpacking the last few boxes from when we moved here!
No comments:
Post a Comment