Another month of 2010 is slipping through our fingers and all we can do is laugh and savor the last few moments of July before they are completely gone. Unfortunately, this has been a month of many moments spent apart from each other as our schedules seem to be in constant opposition. I, Emily, am learning to juggle one full-time and two part-time jobs while Scott continues to work long hours at the bank followed by Business, Law, and Ethics class on Tuesday and Thursday nights. He also recently spent a week in Minnesota, leaving me behind in Ohio to hold down the fort and bring home the bacon (more to come on that trip later).
July started with a less-than-exciting 4th of July weekend. We did catch a parade in Northside on Saturday, with our favorite entry being the men’s drill team - a group of men with drills!
I did get to see a couple of fireworks in the distance on my way home from a closing shift at Target on the 4th, but that was about the extent of our holiday celebration. We both had Monday off of work(s), though, and decided to try out some disc golf at the Cincinnati State campus. The conclusion from that excursion was that we should really read up on the rules of the game before trying to tackle an actual course. But our made-up Tungseth version was still pretty fun.
Our other big event of the day was picking out a new fish to join our home. Now that we have a functioning A/C, we figured it was safe to replace Sully, who took a trip down the toilet bowl last winter. We came home with a feisty red betta that we called Mr. BubblePants as a joke while we tried to come up with a real name. As time has past, though, no “real” name has caught on, but Mr. Nigel BubblePants has started to stick (much to our chagrin). We are now working on transitioning to just Nigel, but the BubblePants part doesn’t seem to want to disappear.
The next week brought the start to my new job at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center (what a mouth full). I’ve quickly learned what an impressive company this is and what amazing things they do for sick kids. It’s such an honor to work here, even if only briefly. I am working as a Clinical Research Coordinator in the Rheumatology Department, basically doing data quality control for juvenile arthritis studies. It is a temporary position with talks of a few hours in the fall after school starts, but perhaps they will have a permanent position for me when I graduate in 22 months!
The next week in July, Scott left for his trip to MN, which I will let him write about. I was majorly bummed that I couldn’t come along to visit all of the friends and family that I miss so very much, but I had a very productive week home alone, cranking out a skirt, half of a crocheted afghan, and a bunch of cooked items that I love but normally wouldn’t make when Scott is home because he doesn’t share my affection for them (i.e. things with sour cream, mayo, or fruit).
Of course, the first weekend Scott is back in OH, I had to work every night but we have been trying to find spare minutes here and there to at least say “hi.” Monday, we even snuck away long enough to see the movie Inception, which we’ve been looking forward to all summer. And we give it an enthusiastic 4 thumbs up! It was worth the wait.
Although it gets hectic at times trying to coordinate our lives, we are so thankful that God has provided not only 1 but 4 jobs between the two of us! And it couldn’t come at a better time since all of our school bills were due this last week. Also, speaking of “Praise the Lord”s, we are thrilled to report that new renters moved into our house in Columbia Heights this past weekend. What an answer to prayer! It was a sickening feeling to have to throw money into a house that we weren’t living in with no cash flow coming back the other way. Now we have a rental management company to take care of the little day-to-day local issues and gutter guards going in so Scott can sleep at night knowing the basement isn’t flooding in MN. Life never seems to be easy, or inexpensive, but we are finding joy in seeing God’s faithfulness revealed over and over in our lives.
(A hot round of mini-golf on a Sunday afternoon)

No comments:
Post a Comment