At the suggestion of our first house guests, Esper and Dave, I checked out a neat place called Jungle Jim's on Monday. It is a gigantic grocery store/market place that has any food you could ever imagine at really reasonable prices. They had an entire aisle of cheese! That's my kind of place. I even found some Carr Valley Cheese, so I felt right at home. They also have a huge international department with a separate section for almost every ethnicity. It was so exciting, I went a little overboard. But we are thoroughly enjoying the fruits (literally) of my trip to Jungle Jim's. Now that I have a feel for the place, I'm looking forward to us needing more exotic groceries so I can go explore some more. I'm pretty sure I could spend an entire afternoon there with no problem!
Last night, we embraced our semi-southerness, crossed the border into Kentucky, and went to a bluegrass show. The band is called Old Crow Medicine Show. They've played a few times on Prairie Home Companion, so you know they're good :-) They are described as "American roots music with a rock and roll attitude", which I think describes them pretty well. There was some crazy strumming and picking going on! I can't believe how fast their hands were moving and they really never let up the entire show. It was a fun concert and great for people watching. We definitely aren't in Minnesota anymore! It made me really miss smoke-free MN too. It felt so strange and wrong to have someone light up right next to us in a crowded theater. I had forgotten what a great thing clean air inside public places is... don't take it for granted, Minnesota!
Scott has the day off today for Veteran's Day, so I'm hoping he finishes his homework soon so we can go explore some more of the city. On the agenda for today is a trip to Spring Grove Cemetery and Arboretum. It seems a fitting day to go there and honor the veterans by looking for the Civil War era tombstones.
No comments:
Post a Comment